A Splash of St. John's Lutheran Church History
Throughout its almost 140-year history, St. John's Lutheran Church
has demonstrated a loving concern for people. People founded this
congregation and people have kept it going during the good times and the
bad by only God's grace. Scripture has revealed to us that people and
not the structure itself forms the church. Therefore, St. John's must be
in the people business. We will continue to demonstrate love for those
inside the church family and show concern for those who are outside the
fellowship of the church.
St. John's Congregation at Cordova, formerly called Huncan, was
organized September 25, 1887, in the house of Mr. A. Schnase under the
guidance of Rev. G. Jung of the South Waco congregation. The charter
members were Johann Petau, Freidr. Rodeman, Ludwig Manke, Andreas
Wambold, Hein Schnase, Adolph Schnase, Johann Krasser, Fritz Kraemer,
Fritz Brauer, Louis Holzman and Johann Schnase. At this time, it was
decided to build a church, 28'x36'x 14' high in Huncan. Fr. Rodeman,
John Krasser and Fr. Kraemer were chosen to be on the building
committee.
Bit's and Pieces over the Years
- On February 8, 1888, the congregation asked Rev.
Jung to serve them regularly. On the 11th Sunday after Trinity, August
12, 1888, the church building was dedicated to the Service of The Triune
God as the German Evangelical Lutheran St. John's Church. Pastor S.
Meeske conducted the Dedication Service and Pastor Gans and Pastor Jung
assisted. St. Johns was accepted as a member of the Missouri Synod by
the Nebraska District at its convention held September 13-19, 1888, in
Zion Church, Hampton, Nebraska.
- In 1889, the congregation called Rev. E.J.W.H.
Meyer from Milford (Ruby) Nebraska. Membership was 110 communicants and
212 souls. He was the first resident pastor of St. Johns, installed on
the 3rd Sunday in Advent 1889, by Rev. Jung. The congregation then
decided to build a parsonage. Rev. Meyer also served the mission station
near McCool.
- In 1890 a school committee was elected. After
serving the congregation for one year, Rev. Meyer accepted a call to
Lena, Illinois. His successor was candidate W. F. Rittamel. He was
installed on the 13th Sunday after Trinity at both the Cordova and
McCool congregation.
- In January of 1892, it was resolved to order
receipt books of the church. Pledges were taken for the Pastor's salary.
- There was a deficit in the treasury of $16.75 in
January. 1893. A collection of $8.15 was taken in the April meeting. In
the July meeting a motion was made that children confirmed here would
not have to be specially received. Resolved that every child outside of
the congregation pay $1.00 a month tuition. At this time hitching posts
and chains were purchased.
- Early in 1896 Rev. Rittamel accepted a call to
Falls City, Nebraska. The congregation decided to become incorporated.
On May 3, 1896, Rev. Gottlieb D. H. Haack of Imogene, Iowa was called
and installed the 4th Sunday after Trinity to serve both Cordova and
McCool.
- In 1897 it was resolved to allow the Pastor to
collect money to buy a neighboring lot. The 50th year of the Missouri
Synod was celebrated.
- On January 7, 1900 the congregation erased the last
of the debt on the church. Rev. Haack accepted a call to Bennet,
Nebraska. Rev. E. H. Jaebker was called from the Southern District and
installed on the 5th Sunday after Trinity by Rev. Seltz.
- On December 8, 1901 Rev. Jaebker left for Norman,
Oklahoma.
- Rev. F. J. Oetjen of Longbranch, Nebraska was
installed April 13, 1902.
- A porch was built on the parsonage in 1904 with the
addition of 6 feet of concrete sidewalk which was put in front of the
church.
- Pastor Oetjen was asked to inquire about a bell for
the church in 1907. In 1908 Pastor Oetjen was called to Blue Earth,
Minnesota.
- On the 22nd Sunday after Trinity, 1909, Rev. H. M.
Henrickson was installed. It was during this time that a bell was
purchased.
-
In 1911 John Frank was a delegate to the Synodical
Convention in St. Louis. F. Zastrow was the alternate. In 1912it was
resolved to stop leaving money at the altar on communion to buy bread
and wine. The pastor is to receive the collection.
- On the first Sunday in September 1913, our 25th
anniversary was celebrated. Pastor Klawitter and Graff were speakers.
- Rev. H. M. Henrickson preached his farewell sermon
in 1914 and went to Gresham. Rev. Ed Schulenburg from Havelock, Nebraska
was installed February 7, 1915.
- In 1917 the pastor asked for a raise as he could
not make it on $500.
- It was resolved to have holy communion once a year
in English in 1920.
- Pastor Schulenburg accepted a call to Lindenwood,
Illinois in 1921. Rev. Petersen from Plymouth was called and installed
November 6, 1921. At this time a young people’s society was started. It
was held in each home.
- It was resolved in 1922 to pay a monthly salary.
There was a discussion about building a new parsonage. Then, in December, it was decided to wire the church for
lights.
- In 1923 it was decided to have the first and fourth
Sunday, German service and the second, third and fifth in English.
- St. Johns Cordova asked that the pastor be relieved
of the duty of serving McCool in 1924. The congregation decided to use
the envelope system for special collections in 1926.
- A motion carried to buy new seats for the balcony
and close the banister in front of the balcony in March of 1927. Also,
the insurance was renewed for 5 years, the church for $1600, the house
$2800 and the barn at $200. Miss Lineau was the organist and was to
receive a $10 raise making a total of $25.
- A motion was made at the March 1928 meeting to
allow the treasurer, Mr. Chris Finke to borrow money when needed for the
minister’s salary.
- In June of 1929 a motion was made to celebrate
Lord's Supper twice in English. It was also decided to drop services on
second Christmas Day and New Years Eve.
- On January 26, 1929, Rev. Petersen was called to
St. Paul's at York. Rev. Siegman Thies, city missionary of New Orleans,
Louisiana was inducted into office on the 15th of June. On
- December 7, 1929 the church went on record
regarding the age a child must have reached before being confirmed. Boys
must be 13 before the instruction period has begun, girls must be 13
before the 1st of January following. The congregation adopted the
envelope system of giving with two dissenting votes.
- It was March 1931 the constitution was drafted into
English. There was a question about what to do about fixing up the
church. Decided to try to clean it as much as possible. There were
English Hymnals purchased but not for general distribution, only guests
and strangers. Also discussed the mounting financial difficulties.
- The financial difficulties were not any better in
1932. Pastor Thies offered to do the janitor work without pay.
- Since so many younger people were sitting upstairs
it was making supervision difficult, it was decided those under 18 had
to sit downstairs. All the ladies of the church took turns cleaning the
church. There was a deficit of $275, and it was decided to cut the
minister’s salary to $200. The next organist was to get 25 cents a
Sunday instead of $1.00. We had 136 communicants and 212 souls. In
September English services were offered in the evening when the morning
service was in German. The annual meeting was to be held on the Monday
following the first Sunday in January. It was resolved to have English
and German Communion to alternate at intervals, as much as possible of
six or seven weeks.
- In June of 1933 it was decided to have three
ministers for Mission Festival. Saturday School was held all day. A
monthly church bulletin was also offered.
- The treasurer's report in 1934 showed $913.81 had
been collected for home purposes and $213 for mission.
- A liturgy for the English service was introduced
also one for the German service. It was also decided to put a lock on
the church door to protect it from damage in high winds.
- On January 7, 1935, it was agreed everyone should
pledge at the beginning of the year what he will strive to contribute.
The delegates for this year’s convention at Cleveland, Ohio were Hy
Wellman and Chris Finke alternate. Those wishing to be confirmed must
have two years of Saturday School. St. John's also joined other
congregations in helping to bring financial relief to the stricken
brethren in the Republican Valley.
- Because of the dust storms and snow and extreme
cold in January 1936 the janitor work, which had been done free by the
pastor and his family the past 4 years, was not a pleasure but a
thankless job. The congregation voted for a yearly fee of $10 to be
paid.
- It was decided in January of 1937 to join other
congregations in having a blanket subscription for every member of the
Lutheran Witness or Der Lutheraner. In July it was decided to have the
first Sunday of the month in German and the rest in English. At this
time, we had 102 communicants and 174 souls.
- St. Johns celebrated their 50th Anniversary of its
church building in 1938. The speakers were Rev. Oetjen and Rev.
Schulenburg. A special meeting was called in September at which time
Pastor Thies stated he could not support his family in this haphazard
way of taking what comes in. His resignation was not granted and the
congregation resolved to mortgage the property to try to raise $500. The
$500 was raised by pledge and borrowing from Ladies Aid. Rev. Thies was
given a peaceable dismissal in October. Motion made and carried that the
congregation call a pastor as soon as a pledge drive had been finished
to ascertain whether enough funds are available to support a pastor.
- In January of 1939 we did not have enough funds to
order Sunday School material for the first time since our existence.
Motion was made to call a pastor and pay him $600 a year in monthly
payments as somewhat over $600 had been pledged. Our mission quota was
$3.50 per communicant member. Candidate Martin Juengel was installed on
April 13, 1939.
-
In January of 1940 it was decided to have all Holy
Days in American Language. Also, it was decided to give the pastor two
weeks’ vacation.
- The new Lutheran Hymnal was introduced in March of
1941. The church funds were deposited in the local Cooperative Credit
Association.
- The matter of the language to be used for services
was brought up for discussion in 1942. It was decided to drop the German
language.
- After serving the congregation 4 1/2 years Pastor
Juengel accepted a call to St. Paul’s at Potter, Nebraska. It was moved
and seconded to send a call to Rev. Mueller of Grafton in January of
1944, at $900. He was installed in March.
- The new catechism was introduced in 1945. Rev.
Mueller was also given the right to go to Friend to do mission work. On
motion it was decided to build a new church.
- At the quarterly meeting in 1946 a lengthy
discussion about building a new church was held but it was tabled. In
1947 the janitor’s salary again was discussed and he was to receive $100
a year. In the fall of 194 7 the old church was torn down, and
construction began on the new one. Cornerstone laying was held November
9, 1947. Services were to be held in Christiansen’s Funeral Home. At a
special meeting on November 3, the congregation was incorporated as St.
John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Building committee consisted of John
Grandoeff, John Peeks, George Noler, Alvin Zastrow and Chris Finke.
- The new church building was dedicated May 9, 1948.
Vice President Krohn and Rev. Petersen were the speakers. The new
edifice cost approximately $12,000. Rev. Mueller accepted a call to
Tenstrike, Minnesota. (
Pages from History - 1948, Lincoln Journal-Star...)
- It was moved and seconded and carried to go in on
the plan to combine with Goehner and Ruby congregations in January 1949.
There were to be three members from each church on the council. They
were to be the elders. The Pastor was to live in Cordova, so the house
had to be modernized. A railing was purchased for the church steps, and
a partial basement was put under the parsonage. This was all finished in
1950.

- The Ladies Aid fixed the kitchen in 1950, size
12'x14'. It was at this time we decided to alternate early and late
services. Candidate Charles Born was installed September 10, 1950. The
ordination and installation were performed by Pastor Loessel of Utica.
The congregation decided to join the pension plan.
- We purchased 2 dozen hymnals and 32 racks. Also,
small chairs for Sunday School. A telephone was put in the parsonage in
1951. Moved and seconded to have ushers. Resolved to let the women
decide how to go to communion. A garage was built southwest of
parsonage. Christmas Eve collection to go to Fremont orphanage an annual
affair.
- The Ladies Aid made and donated alter paraments for
the church in June 1952. All officers were to serve 3 years and could
not succeed themselves.
- In a special meeting in February 1953 Pastor Born
was given a release to Faith Lutheran Church in Lincoln.
- It was decided to drop our 65th Anniversary plans
because we didn't have a Pastor. St. John's Lutheran Laymen's League was
founded.
- Candidate Victor Constein was ordained and
installed on July 5, 1953, by Pastor Loessel of Utica. It was decided to
have communion every fourth Sunday of the month. On October 11, the
congregation dedicated its new Wurlitzer Spinnette electric organ.
- A new ceiling was installed in the basement by the
men of the congregation. L.W.M.L. was started and the name of the Ladies
Aid was changed to Dorcas Society. Pastor Constein had received four
calls. After much discussion he was given a peaceful release to
Valdosta, Georgia.
- Pastor Constein preached his farewell sermon on
January 23, 1955, and Pastor J.C.R. Schmidt was installed May 29, 1955.
- Motion was made and seconded to put water and
stools in the church basement in July of 1956. It was decided to change
Mission Festival to a morning service only and lunch at noon in 1958.
- Pastor Schmidt accepted a call to Holstein,
Nebraska in 1959. Pastor Bruenger was installed in June by his father
and assisted by Rev. Bangert of Seward.
- The chicken house was sold and removed from the
property in 1960. The Dorcas Society donated a dossal curtain behind the
altar. The Walther League of Cordova joined the Holy Cross Walther
League.
- The congregation decided to celebrate our 75th
Anniversary in 1962. The church was carpeted, repainted and repairs were
made on the church and parsonage. During the past 75 years there have
been 416 Baptisms, 281 Confirmations, 74 Marriages and 119 Burials. Our
membership was 125 communicants and 194 souls.
- It was voted in 1963 that the ushers rather than
the elders would take up the offerings. Expense arrangement between the
two congregations were Cordova 55% and Goehner 45%.
- Pastor Bruenger accepted a call to Madison,
Nebraska in 1964.
- The following year candidate David Mealwitz came to
serve the parish. During his time here a new organ was dedicated, and
the furnace area was closed off in the church basement. In 1968, Pastor
Mealwitz, due to reasons of health desired a leave of absence from the
ministry and left the congregation.
- In September Arden Walz was installed as pastor. He
was shortly given permission to start a three-year Confirmation Plan and
to have written rather than oral tests.
- In October of 1969 a new church constitution was
drawn up by Pastor Walz and three elders. In which, concerning
"Suffrage", it was stated, "all female or male communicant members over
20 years of age, will become voting members and will be eligible to hold
office". Two women did indeed vote for the first time in 1970.
- New articles of incorporation were filed with the
state in April of 1971.
- The church was re-shingled and new cupboards were
bought for the parsonage kitchen. Air conditioning for the church was
discussed but the decision was for ceiling fans.
- Pastor Walz was also a member of the Naval
Reserves. He accepted a call to Cologne, Minnesota in October 1973.
- Candidate Rodney Meske was ordained in his home church and
installed here in 1974. During his time, he encouraged the purchase
of an official church seal. Its imprint can be seen on the front
page of the secretary book. Also, that year, we obtained a 16mm
movie projector.
- In July of 1975, it was proposed and carried that
Common Cup Communion be reinstated on the second Sunday of each month.
- New floor coverings were installed in the parsonage
in 1977.
- January 8, 1978, it was decided to publish in the
church bulletin the average per week cost (based on the budget) of the
expense for local use and for mission commitments, also the previous
weeks receipt for each.
- In April of that year new hymnals "Joyful Sounds",
especially for children were received and used, from the Lutz Memorial.
- Later, in November, Pastor Meske accepted a call to
Hooper, Nebraska.
- The church interior was painted in 1979, and the
congregation purchased the vacant lot south of the parsonage. That year
Candidate Gordon Besel came from Eureka, Missouri.
- In 1980, new church pews were purchased, the old
pews were sold to members, and memorial money was also used to pay for
the new pews.
- The Lutheran Family Service dissolved corporation
in April of 1980, and the money was placed in an endowment fund for the
Nebraska District.
- A Parish Council was formed, and it was decided to
have a Congregational Directory made.
- In April of 1981, permission was given for Field
Workers from the Seward College to assist the Pastor with communion.
Later that year, it was voted to join the "Association of Congregations
for Concordia College", contributing 1% of the home budget, and, to
remit $2.30 per subscription per family to the Nebraska District for the
Lutheran Witness.
- At the December joint meeting, division of expenses
was set at 52.5% Cordova and 47.5% Goehner.
- In 1982, 'Lutheran Worship', the new hymnals were
ordered, and the elders were allowed to assist the Pastor with
communion. Pastor Besel saw a need for a Christian Assistance Emergency
Fund, and one was established, each congregation contributing like
amounts.
- In January of 1984, in a final reading of the
Constitutional Amendment, it was resolved to change "Article VI Right of
Suffrage" to read, "All communicant members who have reached the
majority age (18) shall have the right of suffrage and are eligible to
hold office."
- Division of expenses for 1984 were changed to 50%
each congregation.
- A motion was made, and carried, to no longer usher
out after services, allowing more opportunity for fellowship. New
ceilings were put in the parsonage, along with other improvements. In
May, an air conditioning and heating unit was installed in the church, a
generous gift from the estate of Mr. George Brackhan.
- Due to the division of the York-Seward Circuit, the
congregation in April of 1985 voted to be in the Seward Circuit.
- A Circuit Forum was formed, meeting once every
month. Its purpose is to provide support for the congregation, to
facilitate inter-congregational responsibilities, and to serve as a link
between congregations, district and synod. Each to have a pastor and one
voting lay representative.
- To have a record of attendance it was decided to
use the "Rite of Christian Fellowship" system. Unique meetings being
held in our church are those of the Rural Support group. Their purpose
is to provide the opportunity for agriculture-related people to discuss
issues of the present agricultural crisis and to help one another to
positively resolve personal conflicts in a confidential setting. The
group was formed in October of 1985 by a group of concerned members who
felt we need to reach out with Christs' love to all people and their
needs. Being an informal group, it will continue to meet often and as
the attendance desire.
- On January 12, 1986, it was voted to hire a
part-time secretary from St. Johns for the church office for 8-hours a
week at $4.00 an hour (about $1800 a year with Social Security).
- A vote was taken to decide which school district
the church property should be in; the vote was for the Friend district.
Pastor Besel accepted a call to St. Paul Lutheran of Omaha and left the
congregation in May of 1986. One more time the parsonage was painted.
- Pastor E. Wade Helmkamp was installed in the
parish, April 1, 1987, by Dr. Eldon Meyer, President of the District. We
number 183 baptized members and 148 communicant members.

Other happenings over our most recent years:
- 2000 - Laborers for Christ begin work on the new
church building.
- 2000 - Decommissioning of 1948 church.
- 2001 - Newly elected Congregational President,
Ralph Linder is the first burial in the 2000 church.
- 2002 - St. John's becomes a supporting member of
Camp Luther.
- 2003 - The brick marquee was constructed at the
southeast comer of the church property.
- 2003 - Members purchased sixty Lutheran Study
Bibles and sixty Luther books for personal use.
- 2003 - The Memorial Book stand was constructed.
- 2004 - Comer Stone laying in the bell rower.
- 2005 - St. John's provides monetary support for
Seminary experience of Peter Jurchen.
- 2006 - Prayer vigil held in October as dissolving
the dual parish is considered.
- 2006 - St. John's led a mission team to Orange, TX
in February and March to assist with Hurricane Relief.
- 2007 - Purchased lots for the new parsonage in
July.
- 2007 - Members voted to dissolve the Dual Parish
Call with Holy Cross, Goehner and call its own minister at the
retirement of current minister, Arnold Jurchcn.
- 2007 - Purchased, at auction, a house constructed
by Southeast Community College for moving to Cordova as St. John's new
parsonage.
- 2008 - Extended call for Pastor Brian Tuma, serving
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Sylvan Grove, KS.
- 2008 - Pastor Tuma and family move to Cordova in
July and are the first family to occupy the new parsonage.
- 2008 - Installation of Pastor Tuma takes place on
July 27th.
- 2009 - The Youth Group traveled to Norfolk to work
at Orphan Grain Train and packed I84 mission boxes for distribution.
- 2010 - Ashley Eftken is returning to the United
States as a GEO LCMS missionary from Trinec, Czech Republic to attend
the Deaconess Program on the campus of the LCMS Seminary in St. Louis.
- 2011 - Sunday, October 2nd St. John's accepted
fifteen people into membership during morning worship.
- 2012 - Sunday September 27, St. John's celebrated
its 125th Anniversary with services of celebration, praise and
thanksgiving. Rev Peter Jurchen, favorite son of the congregation and
son of former Pastor Arnold and Tamra Jurchen, was the guest preacher.
- 2013 - A trip was taken to Mission Central,
Mapleton, Iowa in April.
- 2013 -Dorcas-L WML donated to Orphan Grain Train by
assembling and tying a total of 152 quilts.
- 2014 - Members Rhonda Stokebrand and Denny Heng
traveled with a mission team from St. John. Seward to Akiachak. Alaska.
- 2014 - Memorial Committee purchased a Casket Pall.
- 2014 - Mother's Day tornado and winds do $68,000
damage to church and parsonage.
- 2014 - June 3rd hailstorm destroys all the vinyl
siding.
- In June of 2015, St. John's hosted a Tornado
Recovery Meal at the Cordova Community Building one year after the area
tornado with one hundred sixty-seven in attendance.
- The congregation has approved a wedding policy to
be included in the church's marriage booklet that prohibits same-sex
marriages from being performed at St. John's due to the teachings of
Scripture and in line with the beliefs of our Synod.
- The church organ was replaced after it was
determined that it had suffered irreparable damage from lightning in the
June 2014 storm.
- First discussed in October 2015 was the
distribution of Thrivent Choice Dollars: creating one share each for
LWML, the Baker missionary family, and the PIN fund; and two shares for
the St. John's Seminary student.
- Friendly Member Teams were formed to minister to
inactive members on a quarterly basis.
- Security cameras were installed in the church.
- Youth trip in June 2018 to Kentucky for the Ark
Encounter and Creation Museum.
- Lydia LWML women's service group was formed in 2018
to complement the Dorcas group.
- Pan Box was made to store the Pall that covers
caskets at funerals. The Pall is a reminder of Christ's righteousness
that is given in Baptism.
- Keeping in Touch Calling Tree Ministry was created
in 2019 to contact congregation members between 18 to 30 years of age,
new members of any age and shut-ins on a quarterly basis.
-
2020 - 2021 saw the pandemic take its toll on church activities, as was
the case in many communities throughout the world. In care of our
neighbor, temporary changes
were put in place for the sake of everyone such as parking lot services, drive up communion, ‘virtual’
VBS, in-place social distancing, and online Facebook services began
broadcasting.
-
2020 - Dorcas LWML ends their 50+ years of quilt making with the
last quilt tied in October. Social Media Ministry begins.
-
2022 - Church website is created.
-
The long study of adding an enclosed area to the
west entry door and solving low areas around the building finally saw its
completion in 2024 with a dedication during a Sunday worship service.
- 2024 - New west entrance and paved handicap
parking completed with funds from Aloha Zimmer memorial.
- 2025 - A 25th anniversary celebration
took place of our current church
building.
- October of 2025 found that Pastor Tuma
had accepted a divine call to Osborn, Nebraska.
- In 2026, the membership
awaits God's answer to the calling of our next Pastor.
The Next 140 Years
- Just as past events unfolded for our benefit according to the
Lord's will, we will simply stay out of God's way for the rest of it!